Naturally Refresh Your Tresses
For Brunettes: Brew 2 cups black coffee and allow to cool. In the shower, pour coffee over damp hair and leave on for 10 minutes. Shampoo and condition as usual.
Blondes: Brew 3 cups of chamomile tea and allow to cool. In the shower, pour chamomile tea over wet hair and leave on for 15 minutes. Shampoo and condition as usual.
Red Heads: Boil 2 cups of water and add 1 cup of rose hips (can be found at most health food stores and sold as a tea). Allow to cool. In the shower, pour over damp hair and leave on for 20 minutes before shampooing and conditioning as usual.
Do you just need a quick boost of shine to your hair? Then try one of these two easy rinses in the shower.
- Revive your tresses with the common kitchen ingredient apple cider vinegar. This simple solution will help remove product buildup and add some softness and sheen. Just add 2 Tablespoons of apple cider vinegar to 2 cups of water and mix well. After shampooing hair, massage apple cider vinegar mixture into hair and scalp. Wait a couple of minutes before rinsing. Rinse thoroughly and style as usual.
- Order up the club soda for added shine. Dampen hair and pour a 20 ounce bottle of club soda over your head. Massage into your scalp and hair for about a minute and shampoo and condition as usual. The sodium in the club helps remove buildup to add shine.
In need a of a natural, nourishing hair conditioning treatment? Try this coconut oil method! Or, check out my all natural handcrafted, herbal infused oils for the hair and scalp featured on my online store Boutique Revitalize.
For Healthy Hair Year Round: Any of the above remedies are great for a little extra boost throughout the year but if you want healthy hair all year round it starts from the inside out. To keep your hair healthy, strong and luxurious all year long, make sure the bulk of your diet is made up of whole, unprocessed plant based foods rich in protein; Vitamins A, B-Complex, C, D and E; minerals Iron, Zinc, Silica, and Copper; and healthy fats/ essential fatty acids and lots of water. The vitamins and minerals in particular promote hair growth, enhance luster and prevents breakage by increasing oxygen uptake, immune function and scalp circulation thereby nourishing and stimulating the scalp and hair follicles.
- Nuts and seeds, especially chia, hemp, flax, pumpkin and sunflower seeds and walnuts, Brazil nuts and almonds
- Dark leafy greens and veggies, such as spinach, broccoli, kale and Swiss Chard
- Legumes, in particular, lentils, adzuki, mung, black and kidney beans
- Healthy fats such as avocados, coconut oil, extra virgin olive oil, nuts and seeds
- Fruits and vegetables high in Vitamin C and antioxidants- sweet potatoes, red, yellow and orange bell peppers, carrots, butternut squash, berries, bananas, mangoes, and papaya, asparagus, pumpkin, celery, cucumber, tomatoes
- Spirulina and kelp
- Whole grains like quinoa, oats, brown rice, barley